Attire and Appearance
The IJ School Uniform
- Every student must come to school in full uniform i.e. correct shade of blue pinafore and belt over a white blouse, with the school badge of office (if any).
- Badges should be worn in this order on the left yoke of the pinafore:
- The white school blouse should be buttoned at all times, especially the collar button.
- The sleeves of the white school blouse should not be folded.
- The length of the blue pinafore should be in the region just above the knee to mid-knee.
- Students are to wear the prescribed school uniform and modification to the uniform is not allowed.
- Belts should be fastened at the waist with a hook on a single bar. Multiple bars and Velcro are not allowed.
- The complete school uniform must be worn at all times when students report to school or are dismissed from school during the school term and school holidays, even for CCAs and enrichment classes.
Shoes and Socks
- White school shoes are to be worn.
- Sports shoes may only be worn on medical grounds.
- Sports shoes for CCA purpose should be worn only during CCA sessions after permission has been sought.
- Socks must be plain white and worn with at least one fold to cover the ankle bone.
Physical Education (PE) Attire
- The correct attire for PE lessons must be worn i.e. the CHIJ Primary PE T-shirt or House T-shirt tucked into navy blue shorts.
- CCA T-shirts may be worn only during CCA sessions.
Hair and Accessories
- Hair should be styled simply, kept neat and tidy.
- Hairstyles with ‘tails’ or dyed hair are strictly forbidden.
- Shoulder length hair must be kept tied into a pony tail or plaited.
- Hair accessories must be white, black or navy blue.
- Fingernails should be kept short and clean.
- No nail polish or strengthener should be applied to fingernails.
- Only one pair of small and simple ear studs may be worn.
- Necklaces / bangles / rings of a religious nature which are inconspicuous are permitted. Only one religious item may be worn at any one time.
- Other ornamental accessories like friendship bands, bracelets, etc. are not permitted.
- Students are to be seated with their class at the designated assembly area (e.g. parade square, Barre Hall or classrooms) by 7.30am for the flag-raising ceremony, failing which, students will be considered late for school.
- Students who are late 4 times in each term will receive a letter from the school.
- Students who are late 5 or more times in each term will have their names recorded in the Student Offence Management System.
Respect for National Anthem / School Song
- Students who are Singapore Citizens must sing the National Anthem and take the National Pledge. The National Pledge must be recited with a clenched right fist placed over the left side of the chest.
- Students must stand at attention throughout the singing of the National Anthem, the National Pledge, the School Song and the Students’ Pledge.
Leaving the School Premises
- After arrival in school, no student may leave school for any reason without permission.
- Students attending extra lessons / CCA are also not to leave the school for lunch or other reasons without informing the teacher concerned.
- Students who have to leave the school during curriculum hours for a valid reason must provide a letter from their parent / guardian seeking permission from the Form Teacher in advance.
- The parent / guardian will need to sign a form at the General Office before leaving the school premises with the student.
Absence from school
- Students are expected to attend school regularly throughout the year. Permission to take leave from school during term-term will only be granted by the Principal upon advance notice, and only for valid reasons.
- In the event of absence from school, CCA or remedial / supplementary lessons, a letter of excuse of medical certificate must be submitted to the Form Teacher, CCA Teacher or Subject Teacher upon return.
- Students are allowed to bring mobile phones to school only when necessary.
- Students are to take full responsibility for the use and safekeeping of their mobile phones.
- Mobile phones must be switched off at all times during school hours. Use of mobile phones by students is restricted to after curriculum hours at the canteen and dismissal/pick-up points, for the purpose of communication with parents/caregivers for dismissal arrangements.