CHIJ Primary (Toa Payoh) is known for her outstanding gymnasts who excel in Artistic Gymnastics.
Gymnastics provides the foundation blocks in movement experience which enables the students to apply the fundamentals learnt in other sports. The sport develops the students in their physical strength, flexibility, agility, co-ordination and balance.
Competent gymnasts will have opportunities to represent the school in competitions where they execute short routines on different apparatus, namely the balance beam, vault, bars and floor.
Students will be able to …
- Explain and apply their knowledge of artistic gymnastics to execute skills safely.
- Execute some of the compulsory routines at the non-competitive level and to complete the entire routines on the 4 apparatus- balance beam, vault, bars and floor.
- Demonstrate good sportsmanship and values of excellence, fair play, teamwork, discipline through gymnastics.
There are different levels of the sport offered:
1) Fun Gym Enrichment (P1 to P3)
|Levels Involved||P2 & P3||P1||P2|
Fun Gym is conducted by the school’s external vendor for Primary 1, 2 and 3 students. The programme is fun, engaging and allows beginners to learn the basics of the sport.
2) Recreation Gym CCA (P4 to P6)
Students who are interested in learning the sport on a recreational basis can choose to select the sport as their CCA. However, students need to be physically fit and reasonably flexible to be able to join in the activities.
3) Gym Development Squad CCA
Lower primary students who show potential in the sport are encouraged to attend twice weekly training so that their skills can be honed. They will also be selected for the training squad if they show potential and commitment.
4) Gym Training Squad CCA (Competitive)
Students who are physically and mentally ready will be selected to join the training squad. The gymnasts need to be committed to the sport and attend a rigorous training programme to represent the school in various competitions.