Learning to be creative and innovative through Mathematics
Unpacking the vision
The school would like the IJ girl to be able to:
- acquire the necessary mathematical concepts and skills for everyday life,
- develop and apply the mathematical thinking and problem-solving skills,
- develop positive attitudes towards mathematics,
- develop the ability to reason logically, to communicate mathematically, and to learn cooperatively and independently
Use of CPA (Concrete-Pictorial-Abstract) in the classroom
– with the use of manipulatives to give students the concrete experience
– with emphasis on Learning Experiences for the students
- Use of Heuristics Package to explicitly teach various problem-solving strategies from P1 to P6
- Use of Reasoning and Communication strategies to teach Mathematical reasoning from P3 to P6
- Differentiated worksheets are used from P3 to P5 as part of daily lessons to meet the different needs of our students
- At P4, E2K Math is conducted after school for selected high progress students
- High Progress students are selected to take part in competitions such as Singapore and Asian Schools Math Olympic (SASMO) and Singapore Math Kangaroo Contest (SMKC).
- At P5 and P6, students are stretched through after school workshops.
Low Progress students are given closer attention in smaller classes
– Learning Support for Math(LSM) Programme at P1 & P2
– Remedial lessons from P2 to P6
Learning Math is Fun!