Empowered IJ girls who are Fit for Learning and Game for Life
Inspire IJ girls to love PE, love the outdoors and understand the benefits of play. Empower IJ girls to have a positive attitude towards a healthy lifestyle in order to serve self and others in life.
Every Child Learns and Plays with Joy; All are Winners
The Progressive PE & Sports Curriculum : 3E Framework
Explore — > Engage — > Excel (Empowered to Venture)
Students will progress from exploring opportunities to experience a wide array of sporting activities to being engaged & eventually excelling in areas of their interest and strengths. In pursuing excellence, IJ girls will learn perseverance through hard work and determination and come away with a greater sense of school spirit and community.
It is the school’s aim to empower all students to take ownership of their learning, lead a healthy lifestyle and contribute to the community by taking responsibility of their own learning and serving others in the process.
IJ Venture Programme
The IJ Venture Programme is an extension of the LLP (Learning for Life Programme) endorsed by MOE in 2017. The IJ Venture Programme within the curriculum is crucial in providing authentic learning experiences in the outdoors and promoting school-wide opportunities for IJ girls in multi-sports with particular emphasis on gymnastics and athletics for good foundation in fundamental movement skills. It is envisioned that the students will learn and apply the desired skills and values. This process will have a strong character education aspect with a mindset for excellence – the attributes needed for them to be future-ready and able to meet life’s challenges, as defined in the school’s vision.
The IJ Venture Programme rides on the PE and Outdoor Education curriculum with a focus on progressive development which caters to the masses but will also serve as a platform to identify students with potential for exposure to competitions at higher levels. The various school based programmes and activities will serve as a platform for IJ girls to experience competition and demonstrate the values learnt. By the end of 6 years, the IJ girl would:
- Experience a progressive multi-sports skills development programme,
- Be able to execute basic gymnastics & dance routines; excel in athletics; swim safe and play Netball, Tennis, Soccer, T-ball, Basketball competently,
- Acquire the values and attitudes to be future-ready and better able to meet life’s challenges.
IJ Outdoor Learning
IJ Outdoor Learning (OL) focuses on providing authentic learning experiences in the natural environment. This dynamic learning environment sets the context for learning basic concepts, attitudes and skills in outdoor living and outdoor travel (hiking, cycling, kayaking).
Learning Outcomes for IJ Outdoor Learning :
- Ignite a sense of wonder to invoke self-directed exploration and learning through experiential learning and play
- Develop map reading skills as an aid to navigation through games and practical activities
- Make the students aware of the need to care for and protect the forest and natural environment
- Transfer of learning and application to real-life beyond school (Reality Outside Classroom)
- Learn independence and build up courage
- Be aware of the different values such as responsibility (for one’s safety; one’s belongings), thoughtfulness and care (looking out for others’ safety), teamwork (working towards a common goal e.g. looking for a checkpoint, planning the route to a destination), respecting others’ views (consider other alternative in routes), resilience(not giving up in the face of obstacles), and practising these values in real life
- Allow students to express their creativity
- Provide opportunities to have fun, play outside and experience the ruggedness of the outdoors
Progressive PE Curriculum : Dynamic, Relevant & Rigorous
P1/2 : Diversity & Exposure (Focus building foundational skills/Fundamental Movement Skills; Healthy & positive attitudes towards health & physical activity)
P3/4 : Practice & Refinement of skills (Fundamental Movement Skills & Concept Games Approach; Developing a Mindset for Excellence)
P5/6 : Consolidate skills learnt (Confident Team Players and Independent Learners)
At end of P6, students are :
- Equipped to organize mini games and play games (Target, Invasion, Striking & Net/wall barrier)
- Plan and execute a personal fitness programme
Learning outcomes for PE :
- Competent movers; able to apply tactical actions
- Confident collaborators who excel in movement education
- Knowledgeable of health-related benefits of being physically active
- Appreciate the need to lead a physically active lifestyle
Building Resilience Through Various Physical and Sporting Activities